Living From The Heart, Second Edition
Living From the Heart is a river, exquisitely
gentle. It carries the tremendous blessing brought to consciousness by those heart-masters that are
sometimes called Sufis. I'll be going back to it again and again for a long time.
Living from the Heart (first published by Random House in 1998) is the spiritual classic which first introduced the modern form of Heart Rhythm Meditation to the world. Full of wonderful stories that will open your heart, incredible techniques of breathing and elemental energies, profound descriptions of the experience of the One Heart, and a comprehensive heart-centered philosophy, Living from the Heart is a must for every lover of wisdom.
In the New, Living Heart Media edition co-authors Puran and Susanna Bair refine and expand their delivery of the message of the heart; over 100 new pages of text have been added, including new illustrations, new stories, and a new appendix which details the historical development of heart-based meditation in Christianity and Sufism.
Living from the Heart is both a down-to-earth
guide to using meditation as the valuable tool in everyday life and an inspiring expression of profound
mystical truths. Puran and Susanna Bair have long experience in helping people bring their unique
meditative techniques into their lives, and the details of their experiences give this book a solid
ground underneath its brilliant analysis of the ways of spiritual development. This is a rare and
It is wonderful
to find a meditation as simple and as universal as the Heart Rhythm Method. Puran and Susanna Bair
offer us a way to remember and reclaim our essential unity with God, with the planet, and with each other.
The authors capture the essence of spiritual healing through prayer
and meditation in this insightful work adapted from Sufi mystics,
but able to be used by people of all religious persuasions. I would
gladly recommend this book to anyone interested in tapping their
inner source of power through the practice of heartfelt prayer.
Listen to an Audiobook excerpt:
A Note From Co-Author Puran Bair
Living from the Heart is about the heart, both the poetic heart that is the instrument of deep feeling and the physical heart that synchronizes all the cells of your body to a common beat. The development of the heart is the great goal of life, both a practical goal and a spiritual goal.
Everyone is attracted by the heart of another; the heart is the agent of creativity and the source of inspiration; the rhythm of the heart is the key to physical, mental and emotional health.
Although everyone aspires to living from their heart, it isn't clear what this means, and there seems to be no method for learning it. Living from the Heart describes a model of heart-centered life and a method for attaining it.
The principle that the book unfolds is that concentration on the physical heart leads to awareness of the poetic heart, and that leads
What People Are Saying About Heart Rhythm Meditation and Living from the Heart
I've used Heart Rhythm Meditation to lower my blood pressure to the point of reducing the medication I take for it, stave off migraine headaches, and to quiet heart arrhythmia when I'm stressed or overtired. Emotionally, I was able to come through a very difficult marital breakdown and negotiate a win-win divorce without the intervention of attorneys. I've healed many childhood wounds, and restored optimism to my life. I feel a deep sense of peace, harmony and gratitude now that I've been able to find my life's work, and a deeper connection to my faith than I've ever had at any time of my life. --Ronnie Howell
I feel that Heart Rhythm Meditation has saved my life, prevented a heart attack and stroke, as I am diabetic with high blood pressure and 57 years old. After each Heart Rhythm session I feel calmer and rejuvenated. It has always worked and I am very grateful for its impact in my life. I know that it has helped me with stress at work, and it has saved my relationships with my students and girlfriend many times beyond measure. It has provided me with a new lease on life, a more complete and fulfilled perspective on what life and living is all about, and a greater ability to be more productive and functional in my average daily life. -- Jim Cumming, MS, MA, teacher, former Army captain
Soon after being introduced to HRM and applying the meditation practices, my blood pressure began coming down, I became more accepting of myself and I literally found my heart! Heart Rhythm Meditation opened my heart letting 50 years of emotion flow making my life more alive and real! I have a much clearer picture of who I am, what makes me tick, and live more from an open and accepting heart. --Porter Underwood, Petroleum consultant
Explore The Remarkable Content In Living from the Heart
- How it is possible to use your own sensation of your heart beating to help you learn who you are, and access the emotional, energetic qualities within your heart ..... Page 1
- How feeling your heartbeat expands your self-image, allowing you to challenge your limitations ..... Page 2
- Why listening to your heartbeat brings calm and stillness ..... Page 2
- How listening to your heartbeat actually improves the functioning of your mind, increasing insight and creativity ..... Page 3
- Why your heart holds the key to how you can best contribute to humanity ..... Page 4
- How Joan used Heart Rhythm Meditation to get fabricated charges against her professional conduct dropped ..... Page 5
- Why your physical heartbeat is rich in meaning for your physical health, and what it means for your emotional health as well ..... Page 7
- How Samuel used Heart Rhythm Meditation to heal his foot from a crushing injury ..... Page 7
- How Puran uses Heart Rhythm Meditation to feel when a head cold is coming on, and heal the condition before it becomes an illness ..... Page 8
- How Fred used Heart Rhythm Meditation to discover the feelings of worthlessness and self-doubt that were holding back his career, and work to process those feelings so that he could take on more responsibility and be more successful at work ..... Page 9
- Why feeling your own heartbeat from within is so much more beneficial than using a stethoscope or other instrument ..... Page 9-10
- A beginning exercise in Heart Rhythm Meditation: feel your heartbeat. This technique makes it a lot easier ..... Page 11-13
- How to access and use emotion by listening to you heartbeat ..... Page 14
- Where Heart Rhythm Meditation came from ..... Page 15-17
1. What is Heart Rhythm Meditation?
- Why your soul already knows how to meditate ..... Page 21
- How Heart Rhythm Meditation can create the feeling of swimming in an ocean of love, energy, and peace ..... Page 22
- The similarity between learning to meditate and learning to swim ..... Page 22
- How our perception affects our reality ..... Page 23
- How Heart Rhythm Meditation takes you into a state where you have no boundaries, no beginning, no end, in space or time ..... Page 24
- Why you can't use your willpower alone to attain the state of infinite peace that is found in Heart Rhythm Meditation ..... Page 25
- How Susanna learned to use the breath to carry her through the times when willpower was not enough ..... Page 25-26
- Why meditation is not like a trance, or being on drugs, or losing control, or turning off your mind, or having a particular belief structure, or being spaced out ..... Page 26-27
- How Puran discovered that meditation can dominate the sensory environment, instead of vice versa ..... Page 29
- How Susanna experienced the presence of her meditation teacher and how it affected her inner state ..... Page 29-30
- The difference between Upward and Downward forms of meditation, and why this is critical for the kind of effects you'll experience through meditation ..... Page 30-31
- Why Heart Rhythm Meditation is Downward meditation and why that makes it ideal for most people ..... Page 32
- How Susanna used Heart Rhythm Meditation to carry her through the most painful experience of her life ..... Page 33-34
- What are the Five States of Heart Rhythm Meditation, and how you can experience each one ..... Page 34-52
- How Heart Rhythm Meditation will help you learn to concentrate, or improve your concentration, even if you're already good at concentrating ..... Page 37-41
- Why concentration is the key to mastering life on earth, and how these two techniques makes concentration much easier ..... Page 39
- How Susanna used her heartbeat to conquer her fear and embrace the unknown ..... Page 40-41
- What the state of contemplation means, and how it gives you the sense of flow, where you forget yourself almost entirely ..... Page 42-43
- The physical sensation that accompanies the state of contemplation on the heart ..... Page 43
- Why using your heart to make decisions will guide you to the right path ..... Page 44
- The difference the state of meditation and the activity of meditation ..... Page 45
- What it means to enter the state of meditation and how it affects you ..... Page 45-47
- How the meditative state differs from the usual condition ..... Page 53-58
- How the meditative state enlarges your sense of identity ..... Page 57-58
- How Puran uses the image of a river and river bed to attain the state of meditation ..... Page 58-59
Over the years, Living from the Heart is the one book I have recommended more than any other. This book is a treasure of practical wisdom they have gleaned from years of teaching and exploration into the endless mystery of the heart. You will find science, poetry and inspiration, and much more, in these pages. --Dr. James L. Oschman, Author of Energy Medicine: The Scientific Basis
Complete Table of Contents
Part I: HOW HEART RHYTHM MEDITATION WORKS
Chapter 1. What is Heart Rhythm Meditation?
Chapter 2. The Benefits and Elements
Part II: THE PRACTICE
Chapter 3. Posture and Environment (Preparation)
Chapter 4. Conscious Breath (Focusing on the Heart)
Chapter 5. Rhythmic Breath (Directing the Heart's Energy)
Chapter 6. Full Exhalation (Accomplishment)
Chapter 7. Retained Breath (Conserving Energy)
Chapter 8. Breath and Heartbeat (Peace)
Chapter 9. Directed Breath (Healing)
Part III: THE ELEMENTS OF THE HEART
Chapter 10. The Four Elements
Chapter 11. The Earth Element
Chapter 12. The Water Element
Chapter 13. The Fire Element
Chapter 14. The Air Element
Part IV: CONTINUING YOUR PRACTICE FOR A LIFETIME
Chapter 15. Common Problems in Meditation
Chapter 16. Individual and Group Practice
Appendix 1: The Source of Heart Rhythm Meditation
Appendix 2: Goals and Landmarks of Heart Rhythm Meditation
Appendix 3: The Works of Hazrat Inayat Khan
You might also be interested in...
A payment plan is available.
|PROGRAMS||Seminars||Webcourses||Retreats||Mentoring||University of the Heart|
© Copyright 1987-2015, The Institute for Applied Meditation, Inc. PO Box 86149, Tucson, AZ 85754 +1.520.299.2170 Site Map